Our faces show signs of aging in different ways. Some people start to see wrinkles around the eyes, others around the mouth. Everyone has different levels of skin damage due to sun exposure, genetics, and other factors. There is no one-size-fits-all treatment for achieving youthful skin, which is something we keep in mind when creating a plan of action for each patient.
Our Idaho plastic surgery center offers a range of dermal fillers to allow us to generate a customized treatment plan to fit your specific needs. Although most fillers are similarly composed, certain patients may respond better to one type over another. There are several things to consider while deciding which filler is right for you:
- An active ingredient that is present in many fillers is a substrate known as hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a substance that is naturally present in the human body. It is found in the highest concentrations in fluids in the eyes and joints. Some people apply hyaluronic acid to the skin for healing wounds, burns, skin ulcers, and as a moisturizer. If you have had complications with hyaluronic acid fillers in the past, let your physician know beforehand.
- If you are considering BOTOX® or dermal fillers, be sure to know the key difference between the two. BOTOX is used to correct the long-term effects related to facial expressions, while fillers are used to add volume. BOTOX blocks the action of nerves on muscles. We use it to target muscles that form wrinkles. It relaxes the muscle, softening the wrinkle. Fillers are injected into the skin to fill in wrinkles, directly softening them. They can help keep skin looking plump and hydrated without the need for more invasive surgery.
- JUVÉDERM® contains hyaluronic acid, which is a key ingredient for smoothly filling wrinkles. Because JUVÉDERM is based on HA, which is found naturally in the body, it is very well tolerated by most men and women. Injections of JUVÉDERM fillers flow easily into the skin and restore volume to nasolabial folds, marionette lines, lip lines, and other wrinkles around the mouth and chin. Many individuals also use this filler to augment thin or aging lips.
- Restylane® Lyft is an HA-based filler designed to correct deeper folds and wrinkles, mostly on the lower face. It also comes in a gel pre-mixed with lidocaine to increase comfort. Restylane’s larger molecules make it quite effective at treating deeper wrinkles and folds. It is the first and only FDA-approved filler indicated to provide lift to the cheeks and add volume to correct and smooth smile lines (nasolabial folds).
- BELOTERO BALANCE® is an HA-based filler known for its ability to self-adjust to softly fill various wrinkles throughout the face, from deep folds to fine lines. BELOTERO’s results are immediate and can be observed for about 6 months—and even longer in some cases. It feels natural to the touch, maintains normal movement and facial expressions, and requires little to no downtime. It can be an ideal option for treating delicate areas such as smile lines and vertical lip lines.
All this information may seem overwhelming, but don’t worry, we can help you decide which product is right for you. Our team will incorporate our extensive experience with fillers and your goals to plan a treatment that is safe and effective. If you want to learn more about fillers, schedule a consultation online. We love to educate our patients about the cosmetic treatments and procedures we perform.